User Experience in Moodlerooms
What is the Moodlerooms experience?
It’s oriented towards fulfilling and satisfying actual teaching and learning needs at all levels. Moodlerooms uses Moodle LMS as the basic platform and adds improvements at the level of functionalities, integrations, extensions, course format, types of reports, subjects to strengthen the capacities of the platform.
Snap was made based on how users think.
Snap is the clean and intuitive graphic theme developed by Moodlerooms. Snap makes it easy to navigate, improves the browser, adapts to all mobile devices (responsive), has a simple block organization, provides an easier search function, allows customizable images, and has many offline features.
Additionally, the professional and neutral look of the interface provides more flexibility to work with different brand guidelines. Snap is the open-code theme of Moodle created by Moodlerooms with the support of the Moodle community.
Professors and instructional designers can use this theme to create courses that motivate and attract students. Snap is built on Bootstrap 3, which facilitates site navigation and guarantees the adaptable features (responsive) of the courses on any mobile device.
1. Makes Moodle easier to use
Snap makes browsing within a course simple and easy in a few ways:
- A consistent browsing section and menu to see the courses in which the user is registered
- Elimination of the browsing block and the blocks of the page of the course
- Addition of the administration block in the heading bar
- Differentiation of the contents in attached files
- Users can search specific courses, subject matters, activities or resources
- The new user profile groups all the important user information (courses, messages, alerts, etc.) into one place.
With Snap, a student can recognize which file he/she must download and locate it on a program to read it. This is especially useful for users on a mobile device since in case of not having the application that they need installed in their device, they may download it from the application store.
2. Allows the user to focus on content
To help the user focus on the course content, Snap eliminates all the typical “mess” and distractions that are not helping the students learn and gives students relevant content that can be used in a timely fashion. Essentially, Snap improves the user experience of the professor and students in Moodle attracting the user to the important content of the page.
3. Users focus on one section at a time
All courses should have consistent content, with a section that is shown at the same time, considering accessibility issues. In this manner, readers focus on the content and not on the number of available links.
4. Provides information to the users when they need it
Information must be useful and relevant. The information should help the user understand something that they’re required complete within the course.
Snap displays course progress information, as well as which activities or subjects students must study while they are connected to the platform.
A modern approach to the user interface.
The Snap interface facilitates browsing and use of Moodle through an easy to use, sleek, and modern interface.
The typical mobile experience with Moodle is very different from the experience on the web. This is an area addressed by Snap. Based on the receptive theme engine of Moodle 2.6 Bootstrap 3, Snap offers a consistent user experience on any device (smart phones, tablets, and computers) and operational system.
Who’s it for?
Students have a 3 column menu to help them make decisions about how to spend their time:
- Deadlines of the activities in all courses of the next seven days. This helps students identify which courses they must focus on.
- Recent comment/feedback from the presentations, homework or exams. This information helps determine what information to improve on.
- Messages or comments sent to them which contributes to identifying if there are conversations that they must have before starting their work.
Instructors also have a 3 column menu:
- The first contains the deadlines of all their courses during the next seven days. This helps the teacher determine what courses they need to focus on and which courses they could register students.
- Shows teachers all activities sent to them and which ones are not graded.
- Instructors receive the same messages and notifications as students.
Why choose Snap?
The development of the Snap theme marked the difference in the experiences with Moodle. Snap is oriented towards presenting an interface that allows a more intuitive browsing in the blocks, in visualization of courses and presentation of the content.
One of the most important points to be highlighted and that also marks the difference with respect to the other Moodle themes is that due to its design and its code building, Snap is an entirely responsive theme and can be adapted to any mobile device.